All types of hair should be moisturized daily, whether it’s straight or curly, thick or low-density. But conditioning is especially important if your hair is permed.
For one thing, your hair is curlier now, which means it’s more prone to dehydration.
You’re also likely dealing with damage from the perm service, so you have to work extra hard to moisturize your locks to repair them.
Switching to nourishing shampoos and conditioners is super important to maintain a perm.
Getting a good leave-in conditioner for permed hair will also help to thoroughly moisturize your curls every day.
Benefits Of Using Leave-In Conditioner On Permed Hair
A perm changes the structure of your hair to alter its texture, allowing it to mimic the composition of naturally curly hair.
That means you need to start treating your tresses as if they’ve been curly this whole time, too.
You have to switch to products made for nurturing and defining waves and curls.
And what’s more important for curly hair than moisturization?
If your locks are dry and dehydrated, they’ll never come out looking bouncy and defined.
Instead, your hair will appear frizzy and dull.
Although conditioning your hair in the shower is great for curls, it’s not a wise idea to hop in the bath and shampoo your hair daily.
This will only dry out your hair even more, making it counterproductive to your intention of moisturizing your permed curls deeply.
The best way to stay on top of moisturizing your permed hair is by using a leave-in conditioner.
These products are rich in hydrating humectants, emollient oils and butters.
Not only do they nourish your curls and add definition, but they make your hair look shiny and healthy, too.
Many hair care brands get creative with their leave-in formulas.
Some are designed to activate your hair texture, enhancing your new, gorgeous curl pattern.
Others are laced with protein to strengthen damaged strands.
So whatever your hair concerns are, there’s a leave-in out there to help you through it.
Best Leave-In Conditioner For Permed Hair
Not sure how to shop for a leave-in conditioner for permed hair?
Here are 12 leave-ins that will make your permed curls go from dry and frizzy to smooth and defined:
Moroccanoil Curl Defining Cream
Enhance your new curl pattern while nourishing your hair with argan oil when you use this curl-defining cream by Moroccanoil.
Argan oil is rich in fatty acids and vitamin E to moisturize your hair.
It also adds immense shine to make your hair look super healthy and glossy.
Meanwhile, anti-static agents and special heat-activated technology work to hold your curls for as long as possible, preventing frizz and poofiness.
This is the perfect leave-in to use if you want to hit two birds with one stone – moisturizing your hair while styling it to bring out beautiful, defined curls.
- Infused with argan oil for hydration and shine
- Heat-activated technology enhances your curl pattern
- Made with anti-static agents that hold your curl and prevents frizz
- Contains vegetable proteins to strengthen hair
- Formulated with dimethicone, which can weigh the hair down
Ouidad Moisture Lock Leave-in Conditioner
If you have fine, delicate waves, the last thing you need is an overly creamy leave-in to weigh your hair down.
Try this lightweight one by Ouidad for deep hydration without the heaviness.
It’s nourishing without ever leaving behind any icky, greasy residue on your hair.
It seals your hair cuticles to make your mane look smooth and sleek.
The layer of hydration it leaves behind also makes your hair more receptive to your other styling products.
This leave-in conditioner is formulated with hydrating botanical extracts, like prickly pear and arnica.
It also has antioxidants like green tea to fight against free radical damage.
- Hydrates your curls without leaving behind a greasy residue
- Seals your hair cuticles to tame frizz and flyaways
- Makes your hair respond better to other styling products
- Contains antioxidants to protect your hair from free radicals
- Not nourishing enough for thicker hair
Davines OI All in One Milk
Another great way to take care of permed hair is to keep heat damage to a minimum.
This leave-in by Davines moisturizes your curls while providing adequate heat protection to keep your locks healthy.
It’s formulated with exotic Roucou oil and sunflower seed oil to add hydration and shine to your hair.
They also help detangle and smoothen the hair, getting rid of stubborn knots.
The formula provides heat protection, minimizing damage from your heat-styling tools or the UV rays of the sun while you’re outdoors.
- Smoothens and detangles hair to get rid of knots
- Made with Rocou and sunflower seed oils for moisture
- Provides heat protection
- Comes in a spray for easy application
- The fragrance can be quite strong for some users
Leonor Greyl Paris Tonique Hydratant Leave-in Mist
This organic, luxurious leave-in mist by Leonor Greyl is filled to the brim only with the finest botanical ingredients to nourish your hair deeply.
It’s infused with collagen, wheat and soy amino acids, and seaweed extracts to strengthen and moisturize every strand of hair.
Other hydrating botanicals in this formula include hibiscus and moringa seed extracts.
The result is always hair that is instantly softer and smoother, making them bouncy and touchable.
- Infused with collagen, amino acids, and seaweed to strengthen hair
- Instantly softens your hair for more touchable curls
- Made only natural, organic ingredients
- Doesn’t contain irritating sulfates, parabens, and petrochemicals
- Leaves curls looking greasy when applied on dry hair
Mizani 25 Miracle Milk Leave-In Conditioner
If you have thick, coarse curls, you’ll love this deeply nourishing leave-in conditioner by Mizani.
It boasts of many benefits, from moisturizing, adding shine, strengthening, detangling, and loads more.
It’s rich in coconut, olive, and fennel seed oils that work together to provide intense nourishment to your hair.
They also deliver lustrous shine for a healthy glow.
When sprayed into your hair, the formula creates a protective shield around your hair to keep heat damage at bay.
It’s perfect for the summer months when your hair is dry and needs extra shielding from the sun.
- Coconut, olive, and fennel seed oils provide intense nourishment and shine
- Penetrates your hair follicles to moisturize your strands deeply
- Creates a protective shield around your hair to fight heat damage
- Softens and detangles unruly, hard to manage hair
- Might be too heavy and weigh down fine, thin hair
Pattern Leave-In Conditioner
This leave-in by Pattern was designed specifically for those with curly, coily hair.
It’s made with honey and other botanical oils, including coconut, avocado, shea, and sweet almond oils for the utmost hydration.
All these work to define your curl pattern to give you perfect ringlets.
It also contains hydrolyzed vegetable protein that helps to restore dry and damaged hair.
Although it has many rich and creamy ingredients, the formula is still lightweight and doesn’t weigh down your strands.
This leaves your hair smelling sweet and floral, but never overpowering.
The clean fragrance has notes of neroli, patchouli, and rose.
- Honey, botanical oils and butters moisturize the hair
- The formula is still lightweight although there are many oils
- Makes your curl pattern more structured and defined
- Has a clean and pleasant floral scent
- Leaves protein-sensitive hair a bit frizzy and dry
Curls Blueberry Bliss Reparative Leave-In Conditioner
Blueberry isn’t a common hair care ingredient.
But this unique leave-in by Curls uses it as the hero ingredient to repair and restore your overworked, stressed-out, permed hair.
Extracts from blueberries help accelerate hair growth and delay aging and graying.
They’re also rich in vitamin C, which helps prevent breakage.
Quinoa and silk amino acids also help with strengthening your hair in that regard.
The formula is also full of nourishing mango seed butter, grape seed oil, and coconut oil.
These hydrate your curls deeply, making your waves and coils more defined.
- Blueberry extracts repair and restore stressed out hair
- Coconut oil, mango seed butter, and grape seed oil hydrate the hair deeply
- Quinoa and silk amino acids strengthen the hair to prevent breakage
- Smells sweet and fruity without being overbearing
- The formula is comedogenic, so if you have overly sensitive skin, it can cause blackheads
Mielle Organics White Peony Leave-In Conditioner
Having a combination of humectants and emollients in your leave-in is ideal.
That way, it hydrates your hair while making sure all that moisturizing goodness is locked in with nourishing oils.
The Mielle Organics leave-in does all of that and more.
This lightweight leave-in conditioner is formulated with hydrating humectants like glycerin and aloe vera leaf juice, as well as other plant extracts.
Coconut, argan, jojoba oils, and more seal all that moisture in, keeping your curls smooth and soft.
- Glycerin, aloe leaf juice, and nourishing oils hydrate the hair
- Lightweight formula doesn’t feel heavy or sticky in your hair
- Seals moisture into your hair shaft to keep locks smooth and frizz-free
- The spray bottle has a lock to prevent spills when not in use
- Can be a little hard to spray because the bottle is so small
It’s a 10 Haircare Miracle Leave-In Product
This all-in-one powerhouse product does more than moisturize and condition your hair.
It has ten specific benefits for the hair, ranging from strengthening to heat protection.
It contains panthenol and silk amino acids to fortify exhausted hair strands.
This is terrific for newly-permed hair that might need help with repairing damage from the chemical process.
It can help make your hair resilient again.
It also has antioxidants like vitamin C and green tea extracts to protect your hair against pollution and environmental stressors that can make it dull and age faster.
- A multi-functional product that moisturizes, strengthens and softens hair
- Smooths down your hair to make each curl bouncier
- Panthenol and silk amino acids fortify your hair strands
- Vitamin C and green tea protect your hair from environmental stressors
- Might not be nourishing enough for super thick hair
Vernon François Leave-In Conditioner
This lightweight, non-sticky leave-in conditioner by Vernon François boasts of natural ingredients that strengthen and hydrate the hair between wash days.
Silk amino acids, keratin proteins, and the exotic African tulip tree extracts work hand in hand to strengthen and revitalize your permed hair.
It also has castor oil for deep hydration.
The leave-in conditioner is infused with a blend of aromatic essential oils, including lavender, eucalyptus, and tea tree oils.
These leave your curls smelling fresh and clean without being too strong.
- Silk amino acids, keratin, and African tulip tree extracts strengthen hair
- Leaves a fresh, clean scent thanks to a blend of essential oils
- Non-sticky and doesn’t weigh your curls down
- Made only with natural ingredients and botanicals
- Can leave a white film that is noticeable on darker hair
Ever Ego Intensive Nutritive Leave-In Conditioner
Sometimes, you need more than the usual coconut oil and shea butter to repair your tired hair.
This leave-in by Ever Ego utilizes the powers of exotic Irvingia Gabonensis extracts to nourish and repair your permed hair.
Not only do these extracts hydrate the hair, but they strengthen your strands, too.
This leave-in is rich in vitamin E, which is known to naturally moisturize your hair.
It’s also laced with UV filters to protect your locks against sun damage.
- Made with Irvingia Gabonensis and other extracts for reparative nourishment
- Rich in vitamin E to strengthen and moisturize hair strands
- Has a built-in UV filter to protect your hair from heat damage
- Makes your hair feel soft and easy to brush through
- Doesn’t do much for stubborn flyaways
Oribe Priming Lotion Leave-In Conditioning Detangler
The key to smooth and easy styling is having tangle-free hair.
This leave-in conditioner by Oribe is designed to make your hair easier to comb through, thanks to its amazing slip.
It makes eliminating unruly knots and tangles a breeze, preventing breakage from combing aggressively.
It’s formulated with cupuacu and mango seed butters to deliver deep moisture to your locks.
This helps define your curls and prep them for your styling creams and gels.
- Detangles your hair like a breeze
- Prevents breakage from tugging and pulling your hair
- Cupuacu and mango seed butters nourish your curls deeply
- Preps your curls for the rest of your styling routine
- Not moisturizing enough for thicker, kinkier curls
The more you get used to caring for permed locks, the more important you’ll realize leave-in conditioners are in your hair care regimen.
A good leave-in conditioner for permed hair is great for refreshing your ringlets between wash days, and is your main source for shine and curl definition.
Leave-in and perms go hand in hand, if not for the moisture benefit, then for repairing damaged strands.
You can’t go wrong with any of the hydration-boosting leave-in conditioners above.
Choose one that piques your curiosity and start showing your permed hair some love all day, every day!