A well-done perm is all you need to score an official membership to the curly club.
With your new, perfectly coiled ringlets, you’re officially one of us now.
But just because you have gorgeous curls fresh out of the salon post-perm doesn’t mean that you’re done with the work.
You have to tweak many things in your hair regimen.
One of the easiest, most basic changes you need to adopt is using a sulfate-free shampoo.
In this post, we’ll find out why you should make the switch and also review the best sulfate-free shampoo for permed hair.
Table of Contents
Why Is It Important To Use Sulfate-Free Shampoo On Permed Hair?
Now that you have curly hair, you must understand that your locks have the tendency to become more dehydrated than before you got a perm.
Because curls have a spiral pattern, the natural oils in your scalp will have a more difficult time traveling down the lengths of your hair to moisturize it.
That’s why sulfates are a big no-no for curly hair.
Sulfates Dry Out The Hair
Sulfates are the cleaning agents that make your regular shampoos lather up nicely.
They’re terrific at washing away gunk and grime, but they tend to strip your hair of the natural sebum that coats and protects your locks.
This ends up drying out your curls, which can lead to fragility, and later on, breakage.
Plus, moisture is what makes your curls look shiny and defined, so you can’t afford to lose out on hydration if you want to flaunt perfect curls.
So while washing your hair with tons of suds and bubbles is super satisfying, sulfates can do more harm than good to your new curls.
Switching to a sulfate-free shampoo is pertinent if you want to give your curls the best chance at being more hydrated.
Sulfate-Free Shampoos Are Gentle On The Hair
Another reason to switch over to sulfate-free shampoos is that your hair might be more damaged post-perm.
Granted, it incurs less damage than other chemical processes, like bleaching and coloring jobs, but you’ll still need to repair with it nonetheless.
Using a sulfate-free shampoo is a great way to be gentle with your locks as it heals.
Best Sulfate-Free Shampoo For Permed Hair
Here are twelve of the best sulfate-free shampoos your permed hair will love:
Creme of Nature Pure Honey Moisturizing Dry Defense Shampoo
If you’ve been using sulfate shampoos for a while, your curls are probably super parched.
Wash them while replenishing the moisture they’ve lost with this ultra-nourishing shampoo by Crème of Nature.
All these work together to provide intense moisture as you cleanse your hair.
They also work to bring back the luster and shine to your locks.
Because the formula is so rich and nourishing, you can also use it to detangle unruly coils in the shower.
- Honey, coconut oil, and shea butter moisturize the hair
- Adds immense shine to keep your hair looking lustrous
- Great for detangling hair in the shower
- Leaves kinky curls uber defined
- Can leave fine hair feeling greasy
Royal Locks Clean Curls Shampoo
Nourish your locks while caring for your scalp with this shampoo by Royal Locks.
It hydrates your hair deeply, thanks to argan and macadamia nut oils.
They also work to boost shine and softness, leaving your curls feeling silky to the touch.
It also exfoliates your scalp, washing it thoroughly to get rid of all the stubborn sweat and excess sebum trapped in there.
The shampoo unclogs congested pores and hair follicles, promoting a healthy environment for hair growth.
- Infused with argan and macadamia nut oil for hydration
- Exfoliates the scalp to unclog congested hair follicles
- Increases shine and softness in your hair
- Cruelty-free and paraben-free
- The formula contains silicones, which can build up in your hair over time
Enjoy Sulfate-free Hydrating Shampoo
This pH-balanced shampoo by Enjoy Hair Care is terrific for permed hair that needs extra hydration without the heaviness of nourishing shampoos.
The formula is super lightweight, so you can replenish your curls with moisture without weighing down your ringlets.
It’s made with glycerin and aloe leaf juice – known humectants to boost hydration in hair.
It also has avocado oil to moisturize deeply without being as heavy as other oils and butters.
You’ll also find keratin amino acids in this shampoo’s list of ingredients.
This helps fortify and strengthen the hair, which is awesome for repairing your permed tresses.
- Lightweight, so it never leaves a greasy feeling
- Glycerin, aloe leaf juice, and avocado oil hydrate the hair
- Has keratin amino acids to repair damage
- pH balanced, so it reduces frizz
- You need to use a lot of product to get even a tiny bit of lather
L’Oreal Paris EverCurl Sulfate Free Shampoo
Hydrate your hair with this coconut oil-infused shampoo to keep your curls smooth and defined for up to two days!
The coconut oil nourishes the hair deeply while keeping it soft and touchable.
Meanwhile, the anti-frizz technology this shampoo was designed with helps keep your curls defined and smooth.
It works so well that you can enjoy perfect curls for up to 48 hours.
Another fantastic thing about this shampoo is that even if it’s sulfate-free, it creates a lush, luxurious lather with lots of suds.
- Coconut oil nourishes and softens your hair
- Keeps your curls defined for up to 48 hours
- Made with anti-frizz technology to keep your hair smooth
- Creates a lush, bubbly lather even without sulfates
- It takes a while to rinse all the shampoo out because it’s so rich
Tree to Tub’s Peppermint Shampoo (Soapberry For Hair)
If you have a particularly sensitive scalp, you’ll love this soothing shampoo by Tree to Tub.
It’s made with peppermint essential oil to give off a cooling effect, allowing your skin and your senses to relax a little.
It also leaves your hair smelling fresh and minty.
The formula contains hydrating botanicals like argan oil, aloe vera, and olive leaf extracts.
These help moisturize your strands while boosting luminosity for a healthy glow.
And since the formula is pH-balancing, it helps keep frizz and flyaways at bay.
- Argan oil, aloe vera, and olive leaf extracts moisturize the hair
- Has a lively but pleasant peppermint aroma
- The minty cooling effect is soothing to sensitive scalps
- pH-balancing to keep your hair frizz-free
Arvazallia Advanced Hair Repair Moisturizing Shampoo
In this hair repairing shampoo by Arvazaillia, argan oil and macadamia oil work together to restore damaged hair.
This is perfect for newly-permed locks that are still healing from the chemical process.
The two oils also help moisturize the hair, leaving your strands soft and shiny.
The shampoo is formulated only with the gentlest surfactants to make sure you retain all that hydration throughout the day.
Since this shampoo is very nourishing, it improves the manageability of kinky, coily hair.
It’s perfect if you’re gunning for bouncy curls but can’t be bothered with tangles and knots.
- Restores and repairs hair damage from chemical processes
- Infused with argan oil and macadamia oil for nourishment
- Made with gentle yet thoroughly cleansing surfactants
- Improves manageability of unruly curls
- Tends to leave your hair greasy by the end of the day
Marc Anthony Strictly Curls Shea Butter Curl Defining Shampoo
Give your permed hair the balance between moisture and strength with this Marc Anthony curl-defining shampoo.
It’s filled with so many botanicals and vitamins to make your curls pop while staying tame and smooth.
It’s formulated with shea butter and sunflower seed oil to hydrate the lengths of your hair.
Meanwhile, hydrolyzed silk proteins and vitamin E work to repair damaged hair and make it more resilient.
If your curls tend to go poofy in humid environments, you’ll find this shampoo useful.
It resists humidity, keeping frizz away even when the elements are trying to mess your hair up.
- Shea butter and sunflower seed oil provide hydration
- Made with reparative silk proteins and vitamin E
- Keeps your curls coily and defined all day
- Repels humidity to make sure your hair never goes frizzy
- Can be a bit drying on the scalp
HASK Coconut Milk & Organic Honey Shampoo
In this sulfate-free shampoo by HASK, your hair gets smoothness, hydration, and shine all at once thanks to coconut milk and honey.
These ingredients help your curls stay moisturized all day, too!
The shampoo is designed with a unique memory curl complex to keep your texture’s definition for a long time.
It also reduces frizz and flyaways, leaving your ringlets snatched.
It also leaves your hair smelling sweet and delicious, which is always a plus!
- Coconut milk and honey hydrate and add luster to your hair
- Memory curl complex keeps your texture defined for a long time
- Reduces frizz to keep your curls smooth and snatched
- Free of irritating parabens and drying alcohols
Pure Nature’s Argan Oil Deep Hydra Nourishing Shampoo
This shampoo by Pure Nature puts together two holy grail oils to nourish and repair your hair deeply.
Together, these oils repair, moisturize, and restore permed hair.
The formula also contains wheat proteins and vitamin E to help fortify the hair even more.
They also contribute to the shampoo’s amazing slip, making hair easy to detangle while you’re in the shower.
This leaves your tresses super smooth and easier to style.
- Coconut oil and Moroccan argan oil deeply moisturize curls
- Wheat proteins and vitamin E repair damaged hair
- Makes unruly hair easier to detangle
- Leaves your locks soft, smooth, and frizz-free
- It contains silicones, which can weigh your hair down
SheaMoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl and Shine Shampoo
SheaMoisture is a holy grail among curly girls for their highly moisturizing hair products.
So it’s no surprise that this Curl and Shine shampoo works wonders for permed hair that needs a boost of hydration.
It’s formulated with thick and creamy shea butter, coconut oil, and neem oil.
These rich oils nourish the hair immensely, making it perfect for super thirsty, thick hair.
They also work to repair split ends and any form of breakage due to damage.
Other botanical extracts like rosemary, hibiscus, and aloe add extra shine to the hair.
Meanwhile, silk proteins fortify and strengthen your curls, making them bouncier.
- Coconut oil, shea butter, and neem oil nourish thick hair
- Repairs split ends and breakage
- Rosemary, aloe, and hibiscus extracts add shine and elasticity
- Silk proteins fortify the hair, making your curls bouncier
- Can leave a waxy residue on finer hair types
Maui Moisture Curl Quench + Coconut Oil Shampoo
Permed hair should never thirst.
Otherwise, your curls will be frizzy and poofy instead of bouncy and defined.
This Curl Quench shampoo by Maui Moisture aims to feed your hair the right amount of hydration to keep your curls in tip-top shape.
It’s made with coconut oil and papaya butter for deep moisture.
This creates a creamy formula that helps detangle knotty hair easily.
What’s cool about this shampoo is that, unlike most water-based shampoos, its first ingredient is aloe vera, not aqua.
Aloe is a humectant that increases your hair’s hydration levels and shine.
- Rich coconut oil and papaya butter hydrate your curls
- Its creamy formula helps detangle frizzy, knotty hair
- Makes your texture more defined, leaving curls bouncy and frizz-free
- Its main ingredient is aloe vera for added hydration
- The sweet smell can be a bit strong and overpowering
Hairgurt Curl Perfecting Yogurt Shampoo
If your hair is craving protein, it will love some of this Hairgurt shampoo.
It’s infused with protein-rich yogurt and quinoa to help strengthen your hair.
Protein also adds more structure to your curl pattern, making it super-defined.
The shampoo is also rich in lipids and natural oils to moisturize the hair.
The best part about this shampoo is that it leaves behind a sweet, tropical aroma with notes of coconut and acai.
- Yogurt powder and quinoa proteins strengthen and add structure to curls
- Lipids and botanical oils increase bounce and hydration
- Suitable for all perm types, from wavy to super curly hair
- Has a sweet, tropical coconut and acai scent
- Very runny, so it’s prone to spills
Taking care of permed hair needs extra effort.
You’re not just dealing with potentially damaged locks – you have to think about how to maintain and define your new curls, too.
Switching out your harsh, stripping shampoo for one that is sulfate-free is one of the most effective ways to keep your permed hair as moisturized as possible.
It’s gentle, doesn’t strip the natural oils coating your hair, and thoroughly cleanses your scalp.
Your curls will love any of the twelve sulfate-free shampoos listed above.
Take your pick and feel the difference of refreshed yet hydrated curls on your next wash day!