My brother’s kids are mixed. Their hair has a unique shape and curl pattern. Knowing that I was a hair enthusiast, my sister-in-law asked me what was the best product to moisturize their hair. I knew you couldn’t go wrong with a leave-in conditioner. And what’s the best leave-in conditioner for mixed curly hair?
Why Does Mixed Hair Need Moisturization?
First things first.
Why does mixed hair need moisturization?
Like any other hair type, mixed curly hair needs regular moisturization to promote health hair growth, and avoid dryness that can cause damage.
Moisturizing also makes it look more defined.
One of the moisturizing must-haves is a leave-in conditioner.
Benefits Of Using A Leave-In Conditioner
You can get beautiful, bodied hair that looks and feels healthy if you put in the right treatments – like a moisturizing leave-in conditioner.
A leave-in conditioner is a lightweight version of a regular rinse-out conditioner that is meant to stay in the hair longer.
It locks in hydration in the hair shafts and ensures that it doesn’t evaporate throughout the day.
It usually contains humectants (like aloe vera or glycerin) to draw in hydration and make the hair soft and shiny.
These hair products also help to detangle and prep hair for easier styling later on.
Best Leave-In Conditioner For Mixed Curly Hair
Here are some of the best leave-in conditioners out there:
As I Am Leave-in Conditioner
With this hydrating yet lightweight leave-in conditioner, pampering and prepping your hair before styling can be a sensorial experience too!
As I Am’s conditioner is packed with botanical extracts that give it a captivating tropical scent, from coconut to lemon to apple and sugar cane.
You can use this slippery, easy-to-use conditioner to detangle your hair and prepare it for styling.
This is an excellent option for moisturizing dry hair because it makes your curls hold longer during the day, and way bouncier and more defined than before.
You’ll notice that your hair is shinier right after use too.
- Adds much-needed moisture to the hair
- Helps strengthen the hair
- Increases curl durability and bounce
- Detangles frizzy hair for easy combing
- Preps the hair for daily styling
- Hair will be softer and shinier after use
- Doesn’t weigh down the hair
- Eases wet combing
- Supports healthy hair growth
- If you have dense hair, you may have to use more product due to its thin consistency.
Kinky-Curly Knot Today Leave-in Conditioner and Detangler
Frizzy hair can be a drag to fix up – but not with this conditioner and detangler hybrid from Kinky-Curly!
When worked into the hair, this conditioner leaves it silky to the touch.
It glides across your locks evenly to make sure every strand is moisturized.
This is a versatile product that can be used as a regular rinse-out conditioner or left on for pretty curls for the day.
It has a magnificent fruity scent to wake you up for the day too!
- Smoothens the hair and detangles knots
- Silky and easily glides through the hair
- Leaves curls very defined
- Versatile product that can be rinsed out or left in
- It doesn’t leave any residue behind
- Leaves hair soft and manageable
- Has great slip
- Contains alcohol
Ouidad Moisture Lock Leave-in Conditioner
If you want to douse your hair with hydrating and nourishing goodness without that uncomfortable, filmy, and greasy feeling on your hair by the end of the day, then look no further.
This leave-in conditioner by Ouidad locks in moisture in your curly mane to keep it strong and give it some body.
This makes your hair super shiny, but without that icky, waxy feeling on your scalp.
It moisturizes with arnica and prickly pear and promotes healthier, stronger hair with vitamin B5 and antioxidants from green tea.
- Nourishes and moisturizes every strand of hair
- Seals the cuticle layer to prevent frizz
- Promotes healthy hair growth
- Great for prepping the hair for daily styling
- Doesn’t leave behind any greasy residue
- Acts as a detangler
- Safe for color-treated hair
- The scent isn’t appealing to some users
Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen & Restore Leave-In Conditioner
This leave-in conditioner by Shea Moisture has rich castor oil and creamy shea butter to moisturize the hair.
Even if these are very nourishing, it doesn’t leave a waxy film on the hair or scalp.
There are also omega fatty acids that promote hair strengthening to prevent breakage and split ends.
If you’re not already sold, it even has an invigorating peppermint scent.
The cool, refreshing smell stimulates the scalp and the senses.
- Contains castor oil and shea butter to moisturize the hair richly
- Omega fatty acids restore hair strength
- Softens and detangles even thick, coarse hair
- Peppermint stimulates the scalp and the senses
- No parabens, phthalates, and sulfates
- Prevents split ends
- Hydrating but non-greasy
- Smells a bit unpleasant, like playdough
Giovanni Direct Leave-In Weightless Moisture Conditioner
The key to healthy hair is to hydrate, hydrate, hydrate.
This weightless leave-in conditioner by Giovanni does precisely that and more to help frizzy, damaged hair become stronger and healthier.
This is a great option if your curly hair has been overly damaged by various treatments.
It contains aloe vera juice, a known humectant that can draw in water from the air and ensures your hair retains it.
It also works to keep your hair soft and shiny without feeling heavy.
To top it all off, it also has vitamins E and B5 to help make the hair stronger and sturdier!
- Strengthens damaged hair
- Makes curls more defined
- Contains aloe vera juice to hydrate the hair
- Detangles hair for easy combing
- It has vitamins E and B5 to make the hair more durable
- Has a blend of botanicals for a light, fresh smell
- A bit drying after a few hours; needs more moisturizing oils
Mielle Organics White Peony Leave-In Conditioner
Give your hair the moisture and protection it needs, all while enjoying your favorite springtime scent.
Mielle Organics carries this delightful, nourishing leave-in conditioner that seals in moisture, tames crazy frizz, and leaves the hair soft and silky.
This conditioner has a blend of fatty oils, including coconut, argan, and kernel oils.
They help to moisturize and soften the hair and detangle any knots and flyaways.
And if that’s not enough, its pretty peony scent is sure to captivate many, too!
- Seals in moisture with the rich coconut and argan oils
- Tames frizzy hair and flyaways
- Protects the hair from heat damage
- Leaves the hair silky smooth
- Has a sweet, floral peony scent
- The scent may be too overpowering for those who don’t like florals
Camille Rose Naturals Honey Hydrate “Leave-In Collection”
Have you ever wanted to buy a conditioner because its ingredients list was full of sweet, natural yet confection-like ingredients that you could almost taste and smell? No?
Well, Camille Rose’s Honey Hydrate leave-in conditioner might change that.
This treatment has a unique blend of ingredients that are incredibly good for dry hair that needs serious hydrating and perking up.
Honey is paired with olive and castor oils to nourish the hair, make curls bounce, and make your locks lustrous.
There is also orange and pure maple sugar to give it a sweet, addictive scent that will get you super excited to rehydrate your hair every day!
- Honey and other rich oils hydrate and moisturize the hair
- Makes curls look healthier and bouncier
- Gives an “out of this world” shine
- Has a sweet scent thanks to orange extracts and pure sugar maple
- Helps to prevent hair breakage
- Uncomfortable application because the honey is sticky
Living Proof No Frizz Leave-In Conditioner
If your biggest battle of the day is getting your frizzy mixed hair to calm down, then here’s your secret weapon.
Living Proof’s anti-frizz leave-in conditioner not only moisturizes uber-dry hair but also does everything it can (including blocking humidity!) to stop your hair from being overly frizzy and tangly.
It locks in moisture to make the hair soft and feel light.
It’s also very safe for the hair because it doesn’t contain any potentially harmful ingredients.
Best of all, it’s cruelty-free and never tested on animals.
- Moisturizes and hydrates the hair
- Leaves the hair super soft and easy to style
- Eliminates frizz to make curls more manageable
- Lightweight and doesn’t make the head feel heavy
- Blocks humidity that can make the hair frizzier
- Does not contain parabens, phthalates, and silicones
- Comes in a smaller bottle than many other leave-in conditioners
- Might be too rich for already oily hair
Mizani 25 Miracle Milk Leave-In Treatment
For a leave-in conditioner with a more luxurious flair, try this spray-on by Mizani.
Trust me, it’s called “miracle” milk for a reason!
This conditioner has coconut and fennel oils – a glorious combo of rich and nourishing oils to moisturize the hair and tame and detangle frizz.
It also preps the hair for any styling for the day and builds a protective shield around it to combat heat damage.
It comes in a prettily packaged spray bottle, so you can have an even and easy distribution of the product in every spritz!
This leaves every lock of hair soft and lustrous.
- Tames frizz for more defined curls
- Creates a protective shield against heat damage
- Makes hair so much easier to style
- Nourishes the hair with coconut and fennel oils
- Leaves the hair shiny and lustrous
- Comes in a spray bottle for easy, even distribution
- The fragrance is too strong for some users
Jane Carter Solution Revitalizing Leave-in Conditioner
This is another one of those leave-in conditioners that do a multitude of jobs at once.
It hydrates with humectants, seals in moisture with a provitamin, and renews dry and damaged hair to make it stronger.
This is a great leave-in conditioner spray to have around for hair touch-ups or when you feel like your curls just need an extra spritz to be more bouncy.
Because it’s in a spray bottle, it helps even out the distribution of the solution throughout the curls.
This is a dream product for those with dry mixed hair.
It contains aloe vera to help draw hydration into the hair, and panthenol to lock it in.
Herbal extracts work extra hard to make sure there is a protective barrier around the hair too.
Silky, bouncy, and strong – what more does your hair need?
- Renews dry, damaged, and colored hair
- Detangles curly hair
- Has aloe vera for added hydration
- Panthenol seals in all the moisture
- Herbal extracts create a protective barrier around the hair
- Spray bottle ensures even distribution across strands
- Contains silicone, which can be irritating to sensitive skin
Mixed curly hair should be moisturized properly to seal in all the hydrating goodness it can absorb to bring back the hair’s shine and luster.
If you’ve been looking for the best leave-in conditioner for mixed curly hair, I hope this review will be of help.
Here’s to more defined curls and healthier-looking hair with your trusty leave-in conditioner!