While naturally curly hair is always gorgeous, it can be a bit of a hassle to maintain. Relaxing offers a convenient solution to unruly hair by transforming it into sleek, soft, straight tresses that don’t get poofy.
Many women sick of having to tame big, frizzy, borderline unmanageable curls jump on relaxers right away before you can say, “count me in!”.
In a matter of hours, all their hair problems disappear. No more frizzy flyaways, just straight, put-together tresses.
They then take a step back and realize their hair isn’t as soft as it used to be or breaks off quite easily.
And where’s the gloss that makes hair look so alive? Was relaxing even worth it?
That’s where deep conditioner comes in.
It’s the ultimate treatment to pamper your relaxed hair and bring it back to its healthiest state.
In this post, we’ll look at the need for deep conditioner for relaxed hair.
Benefits Of Using Deep Conditioner On Relaxed Hair
Relaxing your hair is a chemical process.
Lye and other harsh chemicals penetrate your hair shaft to shake your natural texture loose to straighten it out.
Like all chemical processes, relaxers can damage your hair severely.
It can leave your once luscious locks dry, brittle, and stiff.
It’s essential to care for your hair and take some time to pamper it after you’ve had it relaxed.
Avoid heat styling to keep damage to a minimum, and let your hair down instead of tugging on it with tight elastics.
But aside from dropping bad habits, you should take a proactive stance on restoring your hair’s health.
Use hair-strengthening treatments and ensure your locks are moisturized sufficiently.
Deep conditioning every week proves to be helpful in both of these.
Deeply moisturize the hair
Deep conditioners are thicker, more intensive conditioners that you leave in your hair for half an hour or so before rinsing.
This helps the ingredients penetrate your locks and revitalize them.
They contain rich, emollient ingredients that replenish the deep moisture your damaged hair needs to be strong, bouncy, and soft again.
The biggest benefit deep conditioning offers is the intensive moisture it provides.
When hair gets damaged, it’s stripped of natural oils that condition it.
Deep conditioners replenish that lost moisture to hydrate the hair, leaving it soft and smooth.
Strengthen the hair
Many deep conditioners contain proteins that help to repair and fortify your hair’s bonds that were broken when you had your tresses straightened.
They also reduce your chances of suffering from split ends and your hair snapping off easily.
When hair is properly moisturized, it gets more resilient against breakage.
Deep conditioner can also strengthen your hair follicles so you can grow stronger, healthier hair.
Deep conditioning also promotes elasticity in your locks.
That means it can resist tension and won’t break off in pieces when you stretch your tresses, like when you finger-comb or pull it out of a ponytail.
Leaves hair looking shiny
And lastly, because deep conditioning hydrates your hair efficiently, it’s a surefire way to achieve a beautiful luminosity in your hair.
It brings back shine to make your hair look healthy and alive.
Best Deep Conditioner For Relaxed Hair
The following are some of the deep conditioners that work well on relaxed hair:
Joico Moisture Recovery Treatment Balm
If you’re put off by the amount of time a deep conditioning session eats up, you’ll love this treatment balm by Joico.
All it takes is five minutes for it to replenish deep moisture in your dry, damaged locks.
It has olive oil, murumuru butter, and shea butter which are rich emollients, so they’re amazing at nourishing the hair deeply to restore moisture.
They also strengthen the hair to reduce breakage.
The balm is formulated with a unique hydramine sea complex, a blend of sea kelp, algae, and other seawater nutrients to prevent moisture loss and keep your hair hydrated for as long as possible.
- Deeply moisturizes the hair in just five minutes
- Olive oil, murumuru, and shea butter nourish and strengthen hair
- Ingredients from the sea prevent moisture loss
- Reduces breakage, frizz, and split ends
- Can be a little difficult to rinse out because it’s so rich
Kenra Nourishing Masque
To bring resilience back into your sleek, straight hair, try out this nourishing masque by Kenra.
It’s infused with strengthening soy and silk proteins to repair and fortify your hair strands.
It’s also enriched with sunflower seed oil and sweet almond oil for hydration.
These also ensure that your tresses are left with a radiant and polished shine that’s sure to earn some double-takes.
This formula is also safe to use on colored hair, so you need not worry about your gorgeous color being washed away prematurely when using it.
- Offers intensive moisture for a silky soft smoothness
- Has soy and silk proteins to repair damaged hair
- Leaves your hair with a radiant, polished shine
- Safe to use on color-treated hair
- Some users find the scent to be too sweet and overpowering
Mizani Strength Fusion Intense Night-Time Treatment
If you need to combat constant breakage and don’t mind the occasional night-time hair mask, you’ll fall head over heels for this Mizani overnight hair mask.
It’s made with shea butter and sunflower seed oil to deeply and intensely moisturize your damaged hair.
The mask is designed with patented anti-breakage technology to ensure you don’t suffer from split ends and your hair snapping.
A little bit of this product goes a long way.
You only need a small amount to cover the most damaged areas of your hair, like the ends.
- Shea butter and sunflower seed oil provide intense moisture
- Made with an anti-breakage technology to prevent split ends and snapping
- A little goes a long way
- Suitable for all hair types and textures
- Has to be left in your hair all night, which can be messy
Nunaat Karite Special Mask
This hair mask by Nunaat is made with rich, thick shea butter to moisturize the hair deeply and fight against dryness that keeps your strands weak.
It’s packed with hair vitamins, like vitamins A, E, D, and F, to ensure your hair gets all the nutrients it needs to stay strong in the long term.
It also protects against harmful UV rays of the sun.
The best part is that it comes in a giant 17.6oz tub, so you know you’ll take months (maybe even years!) to get through the whole thing before repurchasing.
- Made with rich shea butter to fight against dryness
- Packed with vitamins A, E, D, and F for hair-strengthening
- Gives added protection against sun damage
- Comes in a huge tub that will last you a long time
- Can be too heavy for fine, low-density hair
Aphogee Two-step Treatment Protein for Damaged Hair
If you’ve been looking for an effective deep conditioner for relaxed hair and your hair is severely damaged to the point that your breakage and hair fall is unbearable, you need a protein treatment.
This treatment by Aphogee has many proteins and silk amino acids that strengthen your hair, rebuilding it from its damaged state.
It also fuses magnesium into your hair, promoting healthy growth.
It even stops breakage for up to six weeks after one treatment.
This protein treatment has a unique application method.
You first need to saturate your hair with it and wait until it hardens (this is the protein doing its magic!) before rinsing it out and repeating the process.
- Proteins and silk amino acids strengthen and rebuild hair
- Stops hair breakage for six weeks following treatment
- It fuses magnesium into your follicles for healthy hair growth
- Designed for relaxed, bleached, and colored hair
- The application process can be time-consuming
Macadamia Natural Deep Repair Hair Masque
Oils can be lifesavers when it comes to repairing damaged hair.
If you love rich oils that don’t weigh your hair down, you’ll love this hair masque.
It’s formulated with macadamia oil and argan oil that hydrates the hair deeply without being too heavy.
These oils moisturize your hair and reconstruct it back to a healthy state.
This masque is further enriched with vitamin E and green tea for extra protection and shine.
It also aids in taming frizz and flyaways so you can maintain your newly-straightened hair’s sleek look.
- Moisturizes and repairs dry and damaged hair
- Macadamia and argan oils hydrate deeply
- Tames frizz and flyaways for a smooth, clean look
- Vitamin E and green tea extracts strengthen and add shine
- The scent may be too strong if you’re sensitive to fragrance
Eden BodyWorks JoJoba Monoi Natural Deep Conditioner
Another product that puts the spotlight on rich, reparative, ultra-nourishing oils is this deep conditioner by Eden BodyWorks.
Coconut oil, monoi oil, and jojoba oil are the hero ingredients in this one because of their ability to replenish the hair with intense moisture and hydration.
These oils work together to strengthen damaged and overprocessed hair, turning it from parched and fragile to manageable and silky soft to the touch.
This deep conditioner doesn’t contain potentially irritating ingredients such as mineral oils, silicones, and unnecessary dyes.
- Coconut, monoi, and jojoba oils replenish the hair of moisture
- Strengthens overprocessed hair to reduce damage
- Makes the hair manageable and super soft
- It doesn’t contain silicones, dyes, and mineral oils
- So thick that it might not be suitable for detangling with a comb
ORS HAIRestore Hair Mayonnaise with Nettle Leaf and Horsetail Extract
If you’re a fan of DIY hair masks, you’ve probably heard of particular foods that nourish your hair.
Among these are eggs, which are said to strengthen and moisturize damaged hair back to health.
This mask by ORS – fondly called a hair “mayonnaise” – contains egg in the formula.
Eggs are rich in protein, so they’re excellent for strengthening your hair after being over-processed.
It has olive oil and wheat germ oil to deeply moisturize the hair and enhance its luminous shine.
These oils help protect the hair from further breakage and hair loss from your perm.
The deep conditioner is also infused with nettle leaf extracts, which are rich in hair-friendly vitamins.
Nettle also stimulates the scalp to promote healthy hair growth.
- Egg, olive oil, and wheat germ oil deep condition and strengthen the hair
- Vitamin-rich nettle leaf extracts stimulate the scalp for healthy growth
- Protects hair from breakage and further damage
- Enhances your hair’s natural shine
- Consistency is runnier than most rich masks
Vitale Olive Oil Hair Mayonnaise with Oat & Egg Protein and Vitamins
Another hair mayonnaise you might enjoy for hair repair is this one by Vitale.
It helps restore and fortify your over-processed locks thanks to the egg and oat proteins infused into the formula.
It also has some cholesterol for added strength.
Meanwhile, olive oil hydrates and conditions the hair, making it soft and silky.
Because of this mask’s moisturizing power, you’ll notice a reduction in split ends and breakage in your locks.
It also protects your hair from heat damage and any thermal presence that can be harmful to your tresses.
- Proteins from egg and oat fortify the hair and restore it from damage
- Olive oil hydrates the hair to make it softer
- Protects your locks from heat and any thermal presence
- Significantly reduces split ends and breakage
- Contains small chunks of olive that may be challenging to rinse out
Elasta Qp Dpr-11+ Deep Penetrating Remoisturizing Conditioner
If you’re a fan of natural products and botanicals that condition your hair, you’ll love this deep conditioner by Elasta Qp.
Its base ingredients are olive and coconut oils, which moisturize the hair deeply to leave it soft and shiny.
These oils penetrate deep into the hair cuticle to ensure your locks are getting the nourishment they need to be healthy again.
This mask is packed with 11 vitamins, herbs, and botanicals to moisturize your hair, including ginseng extract and vitamins A and C.
It also has a unique protein complex for added strengthening properties.
These also include vitamin E and peach blossom oil, which soothe your scalp to create the optimal environment for good hair growth.
- Olive oil and coconut oil moisturize and condition the hair
- Penetrates deep into the hair cuticle to nourish it from the inside
- Packed with hair vitamins and a protein complex to strengthen damaged locks
- Peach blossom oil and vitamin E calm and soothe your scalp
- Doesn’t have that much slip for detangling
Relaxed hair may be more manageable on the day-to-day, which is why its appeal is so strong.
But to maintain that chic and sleek hairstyle, you need to carve out some time at least once a week or every two weeks for a nice deep conditioning sesh.
Think of it as a weekly treat for your relaxed hair – something you can look forward to during the weekend.
Dealing with chemically processed hair can be stressful when you realize how brittle and damaged your hair has become.
Look for a good deep conditioner for relaxed hair and you’ll be well on your way to nursing your mane back to health.
So every week or two, just sit back, relax, and let your deep conditioner work its magic on your relaxed hair.