Congratulations! You finally bit the bullet and got your hair dyed a bright, wild shade. You now rock gorgeous locks in an eye-popping color as you’ve dreamt since your teen years. But here comes the clincher. I hate to break it to you, but hair color doesn’t last forever, especially if you don’t take precautionary measures to extend its lifespan. When I first had my tresses dyed five years ago, I was advised to look for the best shampoo for bright colored hair that would help to keep the color intact.
Best Shampoo For Bright Colored Hair
The best way to maintain that wow factor after dyeing your hair is with an excellent color-protecting shampoo.
It helps keep your color’s vibrancy and vividness so it can look fun, crazy, and captivating for longer.
Here are some of the best shampoos for brightly colored hair like yours:
Joico K-PAK Color Therapy Color-Protecting Shampoo
This Joico color-protecting shampoo is the complete package for dyed hair – it preserves color, replenishes moisture, and strengthens the hair all in one wash.
It washes your hair thoroughly without disturbing your hair color, so it doesn’t fade fast.
It’s formulated with argan oil and antioxidants by the exotic African manketti oil, both rich in vitamin E that helps soften the hair and improve its overall shine, elasticity, and bounce.
The shampoo also has keratin proteins to help repair any hair damage, fortifying the hair to make it more resilient against the elements.
- Gently washes hair of impurities while preserving color
- Argan oil and African manketti antioxidants soften hair
- Improves overall shine and elasticity
- Keratin helps repair damage and fortify the hair
- Can leave an oily residue on the hair
Goldwell Kerasilk Color Shampoo
If you have a penchant for luxury, you’ll love the lavish, high-quality ingredients this color shampoo by Goldwell has to offer.
Its star ingredients are keratin and silk, each with its own unique purpose for caring for your colored hair.
While keratin rebuilds and strengthens the hair cuticle from damage dealt from dyeing, silk technology preserves and protects your color.
The shampoo is also formulated with tamanu oil, a rich oil that goes back centuries.
It feeds much-needed moisture to the hair, as well as adding shine to the hair.
- Keratin helps rebuild and strengthen your hair cuticles
- Tamanu oil adds moisture and shine to your hair
- Silk technology prolongs the life of your color
- Has a light and weightless feel on the hair
- You need to wash it out thoroughly, or you may end up with a flaky scalp
Olaplex No.4 Bond Maintenance Shampoo
This color-safe shampoo by Olaplex is a holy grail among hair care enthusiasts – whether they wear brightly colored hair or not.
It has the power to repair and relink broken bonds in your hair, therefore strengthening it and reducing breakage.
This shampoo nourishes the hair deeply with hydrating oils like argan oil and sunflower seed oil.
These also tame frizz and make the hair shinier.
The formula is perfect for vegans because it doesn’t have any gluten.
It’s also formulated without harsh ingredients like sulfates, parabens, and phthalates.
- Relinks broken bonds in your hair to strengthen your locks
- Nourishes deeply with argan and sunflower seed oils
- Vegan, color-safe formula that doesn’t have sulfates, parabens, phthalates
- Keeps frizz and flyaways at bay
- Can leave your roots and hair oily because of how nourishing it is
R+Co Gemstone Color Shampoo
If you’re not ready to give up your color’s boldness weeks after your treatment, you can enhance it further with this color shampoo from the R+Co line.
A unique ChromoHance Complex helps maintain your color’s intense vibrancy, so you can flaunt it for longer.
It’s also rich in protective botanicals and vitamins, like lychee extracts and vitamin E.
Not only do these protect your tresses against free radical damage, but they add gloss and shine too.
This shampoo will leave your hair smelling light and fresh, thanks to Sicilian lemon, eucalyptus, tangerines, and amber.
- Enhances the vibrancy of your hair color
- Vitamin E and lychee extracts protect against free radical damage
- Preserves color for up to ten washes
- Has a lovely citrusy and earthy scent
- Leaves knots and tangles when not followed up with conditioner
Oribe Gold Lust Repair & Restore Shampoo
This Oribe shampoo has everything your colored hair needs to be healthy and preserve its brilliant hue.
A bio-restorative complex and an amino acid complex repair damaged cuticles.
They ensure that each strand of hair is strong enough to withstand the elements.
It’s also formulated with cypress extracts, argan oil, and maracuja oil to moisturize the hair and add shine.
This shampoo also protects against UV damage and oxidative stress from free radicals, which speed up the process of fading hair colors.
- Has a bio-restorative complex to strengthen the hair
- Protects the hair from UV damage and oxidative stress
- Cypress extracts, argan oil, and maracuja oil hydrate the hair
- Doesn’t contain sulfates, parabens, and sodium chloride
- Can make fine hair look flat because of the oils
Davines OI Shampoo
If you’re worried that your color-treated hair is getting dry and straw-like to the touch, use this Davines shampoo to bring back some silky softness.
It’s made with roucou oil, an Amazonian extract that moisturizes and smoothens out the hair, taming frizz and flyaways in the process.
It also leaves the hair as soft as silk, thanks to its milky, lightweight texture.
Another unique characteristic of this shampoo is that even if it thoroughly cleanses the hair, it’s so smooth and milky that you can use it to detangle knots too.
- Roucou oil moisturizes and smoothens out the hair
- Leaves the hair as soft as silk
- Has a lightweight texture that’s fit for all hair types
- Washes hair thoroughly but detangles at the same time
- The scent can be strong for some users
Sachajuan Colour Protect Shampoo
Another option if you want a gentle wash that allows your hair to keep its softness and natural shine is this color-protecting shampoo from Sachajuan.
The shampoo is formulated with cleansers that are gentle and low in acidity, so it isn’t too harsh and stripping on your hair.
It’s designed with a microemulsion technology that helps prevent any premature color fading in your hair.
It also has Ocean Silk Technology like most of Sachajuan’s products.
This helps soften and condition the hair, leaving it moisturized, bouncy, and shiny.
- Uses low-acidity cleansers for a gentle hair wash
- Made with microemulsion technology to prevent your color from fading
- Has Ocean Silk Technology that makes your hair softer
- Leaves the hair bouncier and shinier
- Doesn’t create a rich, sudsy lather like regular shampoos
Shu Uemura Color Lustre Shampoo
This color shampoo by Shu Uemura is made with unique botanical ingredients that allow you to preserve your hair’s vibrancy while enjoying a luxurious shower experience.
This shampoo washes your hair gently and delicately, so it doesn’t strip your color out.
And even if it doesn’t contain any sulfates, it still creates that rich, satisfyingly creamy lather you love.
It’s formulated with musk rose oil that deeply nourishes the hair thanks to its rich fatty acids.
It also strengthens the hair fibers for resilience.
Meanwhile, antioxidants from goji berry extracts help maintain the vividness of your eye-catching color.
- Cleanses your hair delicately to maintain color
- Musk rose oil hydrates and strengthens hair fibers
- Goji berry extracts keep your color vibrant
- Creates a creamy lather even if it’s sulfate-free
- Can make your hair and scalp greasy
Kerastase Reflection Bain Chromatique Multi-Protecting Shampoo
If it’s immense gloss and vibrant color you want for your hair daily, you have to use this color shampoo by Kerastase.
While most color shampoos merely try not to be too harsh on your hair, this one uses zinc gluconate to actively lock in all those colored pigments in your cuticle, so they don’t go anywhere.
This shampoo also has linseed oil and vitamin E that serve as deep moisturizers and hydrators for extra plumpness.
These also provide lustrous gloss, making your hair look glowy and healthy.
- Zinc gluconate locks in color pigments in the hair
- Linseed oil and vitamin E add hydration and shine
- Extends the life of your hair color with UV filters
- Sulfate-free, so it’s not harsh on colored hair
- Tends to weigh down fine hair
Rahua Color Full Shampoo
This Rahua shampoo is perfect if you’re trying to care for your hair through a more natural route, since it’s made only with pure plant-based oils and ingredients.
It’s formulated with exotic Rahua and morete oils from the Amazon rainforest.
These rich oils help nourish and strengthen each strand of hair.
They also restore the natural luster of the hair, making it shiner and more youthful in appearance.
It also has a unique color protection complex that helps prolong the lifespan of your bold, captivating, vibrant color.
- Made only with natural, plant-based ingredients
- A color protection complex prolongs the vibrancy of your color
- Rahua and morete oils nourish and restore luster to the hair
- Leaves your hair smelling like gardenia flowers
- Doesn’t create a thick, bubbly lather in the shower
Pureology Hydrate Shampoo
This sulfate-free, color-protective shampoo by Pureology isn’t called “the hydrate shampoo” for nothing.
It’s deeply nourishing and softening, thanks to jojoba oil that moisturizes the hair to quench parched hair’s thirst.
It’s also formulated with green tea and sage to stimulate the hair follicles and aid in a thorough cleanse of your scalp.
Meanwhile, essential oils from lavender, patchouli, and bergamot provide aromatherapy in the shower and leave your hair feeling fresh and spicy.
- Softens and deeply hydrates the hair to quench its thirst
- Jojoba oil moisturizes the hair and adds luster
- Green tea and sage clean and stimulate the scalp
- Lavender, patchouli, and bergamot provide aromatherapy in the shower
- Provides color protection with a sulfate-free formula
- The scent can be too strong for some users
Redken Color Extend Shampoo
For long-lasting vibrancy and boldness, switch over to this color shampoo by Redken.
It’s formulated with a unique Fade Resist Complex that helps retain your hair’s vividness and outrageous hue.
The shampoo also repels UV rays from damaging your hair and fading your color.
It also protects your hair against environmental aggressors and free radicals.
This product has proteins derived from soy and vegetables to strengthen and repair the hair.
The best part is that this shampoo provides intense, polished shine to the hair, making it look healthy and lustrous from root to tip.
- Protects your hair color against fading to retain its vividness
- Repels environmental aggressors and dangerous UV rays
- Makes your hair glowy and radiant with immense shine
- Soy proteins repair and strengthen the hair
- Tends to dry out the hair a bit if not followed with conditioner
How Are Color-Protecting Shampoos Different From Other Shampoos?
If you have brightly colored hair, the best thing you can do is to avoid regular shampoos, which are typically harsh on the hair.
Color-protective shampoos are just as widely available and can benefit your hair’s health and appearance more.
They don’t contain harsh ingredients
Harsh chemicals in regular shampoos, like sulfates, tend to wash away the pigments clinging on to dear life on your hair cuticles, which means they help speed up the process of fading your color.
Sulfates also dry out your hair, making your locks even more parched than your regular post-treatment hair (which is already dry and brittle, to begin with).
So it only makes sense that color-protect shampoos don’t contain sulfates or any other harsh cleaning agents that can eliminate your hair’s color, shine, and moisture.
Some of the other harsh ingredients include parabens, sodium chloride, formaldehyde, harsh alcohols, and more.
Unlike regular shampoos, color-safe shampoos are formulated with gentle, hair-loving ingredients that won’t lift your hair cuticle and allow the pigments to seep out, leaving your hair dull.
Because they don’t contain cleansers that strip the color out of your hair, you get to rock your magnetic locks for longer.
These shampoos also usually contain nourishing and softening ingredients to help condition your hair and replenish it of moisture lost from the dyeing process.
It may also be infused with proteins, antioxidants, vitamins, and amino acids that strengthen your hair and make it more resilient.
Plenty of high-quality color shampoos will also have heat protection technology to protect you against dangerous UV rays or sun damage.
After all, heat damage is another way of fading color fast.
It doesn’t matter if you went for a neon pink, a pastel blue, a sultry violet, or anything in between.
You must use the best shampoo for bright colored hair so that your hair’s intensity doesn’t dull down.
Try out any of the protective shampoos on this list and see how long your brightly colored hair can last in all its bold and vibrant glory.